MPS Committee

The purpose of Member and Public Services (MPS) in ACA is to support ACA Members in becoming responsible for their own well-being through ACA-related materials, and to provide information for the Public and professionals by providing ACA-related resources and services.

Check here for the latest MPS Committee (and earlier Outreach Committee) reports to the WSO Board.

MPS Committee Report - November 2017

Minutes from MPS Committee Meeting November 15, 2017

Chair, Bill D called the meeting to order at 11 a.m. PST/ 2 p.m. EST

Roll Call of MPS Members Present: Bill D., Carole C., David McB., Jay M., Laura L.

The minutes for October were moved for approval by Carole and seconded by Laura. Approved.

The search for a paid special worker for the MPS Committee was expanded to include a remote worker as it seems none of the local applicants either had the desired experience with software programs or time in the program that the MPS Special Worker position requires.

Sub-Committee Reports:

H&I Report - Chair - Jay M. reported that he had sent out invites to confirm membership on the H&I Committee. He received 1 response. He will join the upcoming region call and work with Laura on her outreach to the intergroups in the region. He is looking forward to the Special Worker being hired in order to facilitate this work more efficiently.

Public Information Report: 

Therapists have been writing in requesting the literature WSO will provide to those who request it who work with Adult Children. Many orders have been filled this month already. Word is spreadng and many members are hearing about it through The Traveler article.

Carole moved that WSO pay to have the PSA professionally produced and David seconded. It was approved and will be sent to the WSO Board for approval. The committee approved the PSA scripts as submitted. 

A radio station in Mission Viejo has requested 4 ACA members to come after the first of the year and participate in an interview that will be recorded and played at a later date as well as streamed on the web. Carole and Jay both expressed an interest in being a part of the panel and will confirm the dates they plan to travel into the area.

The group working on lists of local radio stations from Intergroups did not have a report.

InterGroups Report – Chair - Bonnie M - No report

Regions Report – Chair - Laura – Region development is continuing in a few areas inside and outside the US.

The Traveler Newsletter - Bill reported that second issue of The Traveler had been sent out. The subscriber list has grown beyond the 2,500 mark and requires an upgrade in the subscription plan.

Virtual/telephone Meetings Report – David McB reported that things were better with the Virtual meetings and discussed the sub-committee was still working on guidelines for telephone meetings who wish to be listed on the WSO website.

Old Business:

Brochure for AA members– the brochure continues to get reviews where it is being tested. 

Next month's meeting will be December 20, 2017 @ 11:00 a.m. Pacific/ 2:00 p.m. Eastern

Adjourned the meeting at 3:10pm EST

Minutes submitted by Bill D.

Anyone interested in serving on the MPS Committee or one of its subcommittees can send an email to Bill D. at MPSchair@adultchildren.org 

MPS Committee Report - October 2017

Minutes from MPS Committee Meeting October 18, 2017

Chair, Bill D called the meeting to order at 11 a.m. PST/ 2 p.m. EST

Roll Call of MPS Members Present: Bill D., David McB., Pam S

The ad for a paid special worker for the MPS Committee was placed on the website home page, but to date two applications have been received by people who live close enough to Signal Hill to work in the office. Unfortunately they do not meet all of the qualifications MPS is seeking for the position.

Sub-Committee Reports:

H&I Report - Chair - Jay M. No report

Public Information Report: The PSA was discussed and the committee tabled a vote on the samples until the next meeting. It was decided to solicit sample voice overs for the next meeting if they could be done at no charge.

A radio station in Mission Viejo has requested 4 ACA members to come after the first of the year and participate in an interview that will be recorded and played at a later date as well as streamed on the web. Pam volunteered to be one of the interviewees and will work on getting a few others.

The group working on lists of local radio stations from Intergroups did not have a report.

InterGroups Report – Chair - Bonnie M - No report

Regions Report – Chair - Laura – No report

The Traveler Newsletter - Bill reported that The Traveler had been sent to the board for approval earlier today and was ready to go out when another board member gave the OK. It takes two board members to approve sending out the newsletter publications.

Virtual/telephone Meetings Report – David McB reported that things were settling down with the telephone meetings as far as the safety issues. He discussed the sub-committee drafting the WSO guidelines for telephone meetings who wish to be listed on the WSO website.

Old Business:

PSA – reviews and opinions – tabled until Nov meeting

Brochure for AA – ACA Pam reported that she had been placing the brochure around various AA Clubs and was getting positive feedback on it. David mentioned that it was being placed in Miami AA clubs and was getting good responses too.

Next month's meeting will be November 15, 2017 @ 11:00 a.m. Pacific/ 2:00 p.m. Eastern

Adjourned the meeting at 2:50pm EST

Minutes submitted by Bill D.

Anyone interested in serving on the MPS Committee or one of its subcommittees can send an email to Bill D. at MPSchair@adultchildren.org 

MPS Committee Report - July 2017

Members and Public Services Committee

Meeting Minutes July 19, 2017

The regular meeting of the Members and Public Services Committee Teleconference was called to order at 11:00 a.m. PDT on July 19, 2017 on 712-770-4700 by Carole C., Vice Chair MPS.

Members Present

Coleen - WA, Neil – S FL, Terry – TN, Ameenah - Central Valley CA, Sharon – MO, David – FL, Pam – Orange County CA

Approval of Minutes

The June Minutes approved unanimously

Sub-Committee Reports:

Public Information – Had an impromptu working group call last week to discuss the technical aspects of developing and distributing the Public Service Announcement (PSA). Bill D., Patrick B., and Taylor G. discussed industry standard lengths and distribution. Conceptual ideas for the PSA were discussed as well. We will discuss action from this committee on PSA in the PSA Message later in this agenda under Old Business.

Member Outreach – Patrick B., CA – The Traveler banner is under design and the inaugural issue is being prepared. We are waiting for the ComLine to go out before sending out the Traveler. The ComLine was due out in Early July was last we heard.

Virtual/Telephone Meetings – David McB., FL – Reaching out to phone, internet, Skype. Finding organizational dysfunction, such as the meeting information on the listing can be changed by other than the meeting leader or contact and meetings may lose a leader but continue with no one overseeing them. Sending out an email blast to all the meetings to try to get the listing in better shape.

Regions – Carole C., Region 2 Trustee – Regions statement is on the website. Now we need a place on there for registering regions. I believe the formation of Region 2 has jumpstarted other areas to begin forming regions, which is good for ACAs continuing growth and health. I have added a short report below on Region 2’s activities and short-term goals.

Region 2 is working to get our Bylaws completed, our legal documents filled out, and our bank account set up. Summertime has been a little slow and attendance has been low. We are gearing up now to get our organization and structure set before the end of the year. Once we are done with the paperwork, we will be legal and can start organizing events. We are, meanwhile, keeping in touch with our area and reaching out to lone meetings and intergroups that have yet to attend our teleconferences, letting them know we are here to help them with any issues or questions they may have. In addition, I will give a description of Region 2 to the Service Structure Teleconference.

Old Business:

  • MPS Structure: A preliminary MPS Committee organization chart was posted on MPS Committee Slack Channel on June 27th and pinned for ease of access in the Channel Details area. This needed committee approval or any suggested revisions. Chair asked for a Motion.

Motion by David. 2nd by Neil: Approve the MPS Committee organization chart. No discussion. Motion passed unanimously

  • PSA message: Last week, Bill D. and Patrick B. had a preliminary discussion about PSA with industry professionals, and we suggest starting with :15 and :30 second radio spots to begin getting the message out. We want the message to drive people to a landing page on the WSO website (or the home page, if it can be reworked), so new people can readily see where to go to learn more about ACA and find meetings. Content and budget were discussed. It was felt that the budget would have to be enough to produce a professional quality spot and, of course, cannot be donated to ACA by outside entities. The three main themes that evolved from the discussion were: 1) Make people aware ACA exists and how to find it. 2) Who it can help. 3) Show the difference between ACA and other recovery groups. Chair asked for a Motion to endorse the above concepts and send them to the Board.

Motion by David and 2nd by Coleen: Accept the concepts “1) Make people aware ACA exists and how to find it. 2) Who it can help. 3) Show the difference between ACA and other recovery groups,” and sent them to the Board. No discussion. Motion Passed unanimously.

  • Web Site Changes:
    • The “Events” website page link was added to the “News” menu on the ACA website as we discussed at our last meeting.
    • Event Flyers – ACA Events are in a main side menu item under “ACA Information” on the Repository home page. Submenu tabs are under MPS – Changes were made as shown in an insert on the Agenda, which I have replicated below:
  • Member & Public Service Committee

     MPS Statistics

Hospitals & Institutions (H&I)

Public Information

InterGroups

Regions

The Traveler Newsletter

Africa Outreach

Virtual/telephone Meetings

New Business

  • MPS Budget for 2018 will have to be developed. We need someone who can tally monthly literature shipments under H&I, BBI, and MPS from the website and develop a budget number for 2018.

After a brief explanation by David and an offer to help anyone who felt they could do this, Pam volunteered.

  • PSA After a brief discussion about how to campaign to get groups and intergroups to send to WSO contact information for free PSA spots in their local areas, Coleen (WA) and Sharon (MO) volunteered to come up with wording that will include asking for a list of local radio stations that includes the name and location of the station, an email address and contact person’s name at the station. David said he would aid with the wording. Pam (CA) said she can do the voice over if the stations allow it.
  • Emotional Sobriety Workshop and information table at 61st AA Florida State Convention July 27th – 30th. David, Bill, Jim, and area volunteers will help with the information table.
  • Over 1,500 signups so far for the new ezine newsletter list.
  • As mentioned above, the inaugural Traveler is planned to go out after the 3rd quarter ComLine goes out.

Adjournment – David moved that we adjourn. Ameenah 2nd. Unanimously approved

Meeting was adjourned at 4:44 p.m. PDT with the ACA Serenity Prayer by Carole C., Vice Chair MPS. 

MPS Committee Report - August 2017

MPS Committee Minutes 

23 August 2017 / 3 – 4 p.m. PT / 6 – 7 p.m. ET

Teleconference #: (712) 770-4700 / Access Code: 743112#

Vice Chair, Carole called the meeting to order at 6 p.m. EST

Roll Call of MPS Members Present: Carole, David McB., Sharon, Laura, Pam S., Tammie

Approval of July Minutes: Approved

Sub-Committee Reports:

MPS Statistics Report– Pam S. (Orange County, CA) Tracking of literature to doctors, therapists, hospital and institutions and will providing monthly report – Tally literature, donations

H&I Report:  

Today H&I has a new Chair - Jay M.

Newcomer Jay M., an MD and person of 29 years of recovery, agreed to volunteer as Chair of MPS’s Hospitals and Institutions Sub-Committee - He requested more information on Minutes of previous meetings. He was directed by Carole C., in agreement with the group attending, to go ahead and review the ACA website under Repository under MPS Meeting Minutes for more information.

Public Information Report: David McB

David McB described that 4 sets of books are being distributed to factions and Head Offices of AA and is well-received. Florida AA Convention, ACA Information table and Literature was very well received. So Cal AA Convention this year will not be able to have an ACA table this year. David McB will share list of his communication of AA, with MPS at Carole’s request.

InterGroups Report – Bonnie Not present – No report

Regions Report – We now have a Region Committee under MPS and a Chair. Laura volunteered to Chair MPS’s Region Sub-Committee

Prior to Laura getting on the line, Carole C. spoke about CA Region 2 with the idea of vetting people more carefully since they can become WSO Representatives, whom can then become ACA WSO Board Members. They will need to have a Purpose Statement for example. Laura L. continued regarding Matt is in contact with her for the Mid-West Minutes. She has been in contact with Russia and other Regions. Additionally, while gathering material for the ACA WSO Archives she has run across a few interesting details. One historical example is the Regional Trustees group that consisted of New Zealand, Australia and Europe.         

The Traveler Newsletter Report – Patrick not present – No report

Africa Outreach Report – Beryl not present – No report

Virtual/telephone Meetings Report – David McB spoke of a Virtual Leader needing to be an actual real person who is listed through the ACA website, and accountable at each meeting or the meeting will be de-listed. He said that the phone meetings formats are too varied, not unified. It has been said it feels like the “Wild West” out there on the phone meeting lines.

ü  Meetings must be a safe place (1st Tradition)

ü  Need a general policy for guidelines.

  1. Problems consist of the following for some meetings... 
    The “After Meeting” uses the same line doing open-ended fellowshipping after the meeting with members talking about other members shares. 
  2. The phone line “owner” (a coined phrase, they do not own a line) cannot mute one offensive member during offending share - they can only mute all members, and do Red Book readings for example
  3. Members running meetings may not be safe people and they can see attending members phone numbers which can lead to other scary issues for attendees.

David McB commented that unity and safety during meetings is a need and that he hopes the Virtual Phone members will come up with their own solutions during the Virtual Committee Meetings, one of which took place at 4:30pm pacific, 7:30 pm eastern 8/23/17. He stated that this information will be taken to the Board in effort for a consensus. During questions after David’s report, it was suggested that meetings need to close their phone lines after the meetings are over, rather than keep them open for “fellowship.”

Old Business:

The MPS Committee organization chart was approved by the committee at the July MPS teleconference.

 To Do:

Send Board PSA information after Pam finishes a sample recording done from the wording via Bill D and Patrick.

Coleen Washington

Get lists of local radio stations from Intergroups 

Next month’s meeting will be  September 20, 2017 @ 11:00 a.m. Pacific 2:00 p.m. Eastern

Adjourned the meeting at 4 p.m. PT with the ACA Serenity Prayer

Minutes submitted by Carole C. 

Member Public Service Committee Report - June 2017

The MPS Committee meeting was called to order by Chair Bill D. at approximately 7pm EST/ 4pm PST on June 21st with the ACA Serenity Prayer. The following members were present: Bill D., Carole C., Bonnie K-M., David McB., Brody F., Susan C. and Coleen C.

There were no previous minutes to approve. The committee had been primarily interacting on the ACA Slack collaborative platform prior to this meeting.

Subcommittee Reports:

H & I - no report

Intergroups – Bonnie K-M., Texas reported that intergroups are still forming and she has had a half dozen Slack responses and plans to do more verifying work with Intergroups.

Delegate Training – Brody F., Calif has been on vacation and nothing much is happening at the moment with delegate training. Expects it will pick up as we get closer to the ABC.

Public Information – update on a second presentation being made by an ACA member/ Therapist in Southern Calif.  The acceptance of ACA as a workshop presenter at a large AA State Convention in Florida was discussed. The creation of a PSA was briefly discussed as it was an item that came from the ABC.

Member Outreach – Patrick B was unable to attend the meeting but sent an email update on the email signup list and progress on the first edition of the Traveler. The inaugural Traveler planned to go out in late July so not to coincide with the ComLine release. The email sign up list will be checked for duplicates to the meeting contact list before the first edition is sent out.

Virtual/Telephone Meetings – David McB., Florida – reported that he had been in contact with several people who represented various virtual/ telephone meetings and they were beginning to organize. Clarifying the name of the subcommittee was discussed and would be confirmed with the board.

Regions – a place is needed for them to register on the website. This will be forwarded to the webservant Jim B. for input.

 New Business

The following items were put before the group for discussion.

MPS structure – what do we want the MPS structure to be? A discussion was held that identified a committee structure. A Org chart was posted on the committee slack channel a week after the meeting.

Organization – Do we want Focus Groups under the five areas above? Yes, rather than calling them sub-subcommittees.

PSA – What message do we want to convey?  Put out a call to the fellowship to come up with suggestions for a PSA. Have the fellowship weigh in on the message. 40th anniversary theme?

Event flyers – webpage needs to be top level menu item. Refer to webservant for input and possible enhancement. Should Events and Activities be under MPS as they pertain to the group services?  Yes, most likely best place to include. Bill will talk with Jim B the webservant and see if revisions can be made.

Workshop and Information Table at 61st AA Florida State Convention July 28th thru 30th.

PTSD and Trauma ACA Presentation at Camp Pendleton Marine Base SACC Friday, June 23rd.

Over 1,200 signups for new Traveler newsletter list as of June 21st.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:30pm.

The next meeting of the full MPS Committee will be on July 19th at 4pm PST/ 7pm EST at call In:  712-770-4700 Access Code: 743112#

Subcategories

  • MPS Statistics
  • H-and-I Committee

    The Hospital and Institutions (H&I) sub-committee is responsible to the WSO for liaison with these institutions, including the potential development of ACA meetings with the institutions and ensuring materials are available to the institutions upon request in support of such meetings.

     Check here for the latest Hospital and Institutions Committee committee reports to the WSO Board.

  • InterGroups
  • Delegate Training
  • Regions

    Regional Service Committees are part of the Adult Children of Alcoholics and Dysfunctional Families service structure that support the membership. This ACA service structure includes meetings, Intergroups, Regions, and the World Service Organization (WSO). Information on Regions can be found in the Big Red Book, pages 604-605. Regions consist of members of Intergroups and meetings in a specific geographic areas. 

    In April 2017, the WSO Board and the Annual Business Conference (ABC) reaffirmed WSO’s “historical commitment to the formation of regional service entities as important channels for improving service to the fellowship, and for increasing connections between groups, Intergroups, and the WSO.” To register a new Region, or to find existing Regions, click on the buttons on this page. Newly forming Regions can consult the Meeting Directory and Intergroups pages to learn about the fellowship in their area. They can also connect with other Regions by contacting the Membership and Public Service Committee: MPSChair@adultchildren.org. 

    Important Note: The WSO Board and the ABC in 2017 enacted an interim policy guiding Region formation and is updating WSO’s Regions policy and map to reflect the current global fellowship. Newly emerging Regions should consult the Interim Regions Policy and Interim Regions Map.

     

  • The Traveler Newsletter
  • Africa Outreach
  • Public Information
  • ABC 2014

    The 2014 Annual Business Conference will be held in April 2014.

    Check back here for additional information as it becomes available.